Who are we, and how can we help you if you have a rare disease?
There are 350 million patients with a rare disease globally. In the US alone there are 30 million people with rare diseases. On the continent of Europe, there are 30 million people with a rare disease. We seek to have a global outreach so that we can help as many rare disease patients as possible.
The Putting Rare Diseases Patients First!® organization is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit, and a registered charity. It has tax exempt status with the US tax authorities (IRS), and in California. Donations will be tax deductible.
What do we do? We provide information that can help you find new treatments and diagnostics for your rare disease. Why do we do this? We believe that Knowledge is Power. Patients with rare diseases need effective diagnostics and treatments. For this to happen, they must be an active part of the process of developing new diagnostics and treatments. This organization seeks to provide empowering information to rare disease patients, and the parents of children with rare diseases, about the clinical trial and drug development process.
Many rare disease patients suffer for many years, and some even die without a conclusive diagnosis. Even after they receive a diagnosis, many patients with rare diseases do not have access to a treatment that is effective. For most of them, the search for effective new treatments continues for a very long time. Do you have a rare disease? What if we could give you information that would lead you to a conclusive diagnosis, or even a treatment or a better treatment? We believe that would make a difference to your life.
The Putting Rare Diseases Patients First!® organization provides information on the clinical trial process to patients and parents using several different methods, including Webinars (online seminars in real time), newsletters, Emails, using social media (Facebook and Twitter), and using a Blog.
Meet the Members of the Board of Directors
Putting Rare Diseases Patients First!® is run by a Board of Directors. The Board of Directors governs the non profit charity using accepted governance principles. We meet approximately once per month to discuss the goals of the organization.
Founder and President
Dr. Speid is registered as a Pharmacist with the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.View profile
VP of Fundraising, Grants, Donations and Major Gifts
Karel Petrak, Ph.D. Dr. Karel Petrak, is VP of Fundraising, Grants, Donations and Major Gifts. He is an executive with 40 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry.View profile
Mir Javid academic background includes a Master’s degree in Public Policy from University of Oxford (UK), a Master’s degree in Economic and Social Studies in Development Management from University of Wales (UK), a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Kabul University (Afghanistan), and a Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies from University of Kent (UK). He undertook a year of study...View profile
Leanne has been specializing in graphic and web development on and off since 2005. She graduated from a small tech school in Michigan (graphics art department). She then took some fine arts, management and web design classes. She specializes in social media growth. She has a devout passion to promote the health and well-being of others, coming from a...View profile
- “What a touching story Tim shared with us last Friday! The story of his mother so deeply resonated with me and the hardship so many people suffering from rare diseases have.I think it is a wonderful idea to repeat this webinar if we can.”
- “Excellent Webinar today! That had significant impact.“
- “Please reflect on sharing and consolidating between National History Studies. How many National History Studies allow patients to review their own data and add patients generated data, like quality of life statements?”
- I was wondering if we could set up a call with my colleague, EG to gather some insights on what you have been able to accomplish, and how you have been able to successfully put the patients voice first. Let me know your interest and availability and I can go ahead and coordinate this call. Thanks so much Dr. Speid, I hope all is well with you!
- “Do Natural History studies usually run concurrently with clinical trials?”